Saturday, July 31, 2010

Hatke: Between (And Beyond) Bollywood and Parallel Cinema

I want to write more extensively about the 'uncategorizable' films, not really arthouse per se, not Bollywood masala either, even if they employ masala ingredients in innovative ways:



That's from Vishal Bhardwaj's Omkara (2006), a stunning retelling of Othello set in gangland Uttar Pradesh. The word I am hearing now for the Hindi Indie film movement is 'hatke,' which is Hindi for 'off-beat' etc., and kinda sums it all up.

I want to write more extensively about it, but can't at the moment as other work must be done. I also wanted to do some top ten lists but noted that I have 14 films tagged as top ten on this blog already. Poor math skills, yes, but it's also just too hard to limit a list to ten with so many great movies out or coming out soon. Will work on some other format when I get back. In the mean time, please enjoy the left side links.

Netflix listing for Omkara here.